Tuesday 26 May 2015

Happenings

Joining in with Annie.

Some happenings from my week.



Celebrating  - Samuel's 18th birthday. It was a very low key affair. He didn't want any fuss or bother. Sam doesn't like the full glare of attention at times like these. We are all a bit like that here. He let Olly open his presents; some clothes, books and chocolate from us. His present proper happens in September, when his Dad and I take him to New York (it's a belated 40th for me too). It was a quiet day, as Sam still revised. But we picked up a chippy tea, drove in Betty to Godrevy and spent the evening there. We wandered over beach and headland, played Frisbee, squabbled a bit (about blowing out candles appropriately), collected beach treasures and laughed. I think that he had a nice time.

Marvelling - This morning as I drew back the blinds in the conservatory, I was greeted by the wonderful sight of my nesting Blackbird pair and their three babies on the grass. The babies are nearly fully grown, but still carry fluff and fat. They were herded under cover of the edges of the garden, and Dad hopped about collecting tasty morsels for his brood. I guess they must nearly be ready to fly the nest. It was quite a privilege to stand there with my cup of tea and observe another family go about their daily business.



Counting - eight different types of butterflies on a recent walk, including a Wall Brown. I've never seen one before, and I had to look it up on my butterfly app. I am happy to be corrected, but I think that I'm right. Apparently they are in decline, and generally only found in coastal areas. He was a lovely thing.

Planting - at least eighty Cosmos seedlings in the garden. The first twenty were eaten over-night by the wretched snail population of my garden. I have resorted to slug pellets. Animal friendly. Snail exterminators. Olly is appalled.



Admiring - the foxgloves in the garden. I have been the lucky recipient of self-seeding loveliness from next door. I've counted over twenty of them growing away. And now I'm being rewarded with spires of bell shaped flowers. Pink on the outside, speckled on the inside. It brings me untold joy.

Eating - too many nice things.Birthday cake, the best ever take-away curry, quiche, potato salad, bacon sandwiches, fish and chips. My lower sized jeans are protesting. I shall makes amends directly. Promise.


Leaving- the housework well alone. I top and tail. No more. Frankly there's no point when everyone are on holiday. Mum was visiting for the weekend, and as usual did all my ironing. I guess I'll have to resume that from tomorrow.

Receiving - a beautiful bowl. Mum and I went for coffee at a gallery and tea room on the back road to Penzance. Not only does it make a great cup of coffee, it also showcases and sells the wares of local craftspeople. I admired this particular bowl, and she bought it for me. I protested of course. But actually I loved being spoiled by my Mum!

Smelling - the vanilla scented Nemesia (edit). I bought it last year.It's doubled in size since then, and every now and again there is a sensuous aroma of vanilla. I would very much like some more of this plant. I'm on the hunt when the boys return to school.


Life here is good. Lots of other happenings. Marc is now the proud owner of a flat in Poole. It means that he has a decent place to come home to when he comes home from a days work. I'm going up soon to prettify it for him (and me. Obvs). It means that we can go up and visit him there and have adventures in another part of this amazing country. And CT, I shall be taking you up on the offer of a meet and greet very soon!

Have a lovely week, my friends,

Leanne xx


21 comments:

  1. All lovely stuff. I'm glad Sam had a good time on his birthday. And revising? That boy has his head screwed on good and proper!

    I'm wondering if your vanilla scented nemesis is anything like the vanilla nemesia I recently planted in my garden? ;-) Reminds me of the time I blogged about some beautiful "pubic gardens "... Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. lololololololol
    duly edited!
    L xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol. The curse of spell check! 😘

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like great times have been had in your corner of the world! How exciting that you get to go and stay in Poole with Marc!! You will enjoy that I am sure! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah!! It all looks so lovely Leanne!! And your blooms are just outstanding! I hope those snail pellets help with the snails! And a happy birthday to your son! That cake looks amazing!! And how cute that he let Olly open his gifts! Wishing you more of the same for the rest of the week! That New York trip sounds awesome by the way! Happy day! Nicole xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lot of lovely happenings. Your son sounds a real Sweetie - not wanting any fuss and letting his little brother open his presents! I'm envious of lots of things here: your new flat in Poole, your planned trip to NY and, of course, your gorgeous camper van! Life sound good. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely post, it sounds like life is pretty wonderful with you, I'm glad. The snails here are horrific as well, my hostas are in ribbons, except the one that is just a stump. Fantastic butterfly photos. I actually managed to take pictures of a common blue (I think) on Monday. Normally they fly away when they see me coming. And how exciting to have seen a wall brown, top spot! Enjoy the rest of half term Leanne. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. wonderful happenings, glad Sam had a good birthday, hope the revising pays off x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely, lovely happenings Leanne. Lovely photos, can't decide which is my favourite, probably the lighthouse as it brings such happy memories for me. Thanks for sharing your happenings, I am enjoying visiting everyones happenings, such a lovely idea. haha just noticed how many times I said lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've only seen a wall once when we were on hols in Devon. Beautiful butterflies- well done :-)
    It does sound like you're having a particularly lovely half term. Happy bday to Sam- L is the same about low-key birthdays. Will look forward to meeting up :-) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Leanne. Life does look good at yours! I am glad. Christina xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved your happenings, Leanne. These are my favorite type of posts. Happy belated birthday to Samuel. My son likes pretty low-key birthdays and so do I, really. It's nice just to be together. I'm so excited about your trip to NY, can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful photos and great happenings, we are blessed by these wonderful, simple time together living life moments, they are what matters and all add up to the bigger things at the end of the day (IMO). Glad you had good times x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely update post - and Happy Birthday to your boy. We're planning a New York trip later in the year too for my daughter's 16th. very excited. Your pictures of Cornwall always make me want to go back there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on the birthday celebrations. Mine don't go in for big doo's either for their birthdays especially now they are no longer teens. My daughter had her 21st in February and we had a girly weekend in London to see Mamma Mia and War Horse we had a great time. We are now thinking we may have to make taking in a show a yearly event just for us girls....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a nice 18th and New York will be fab, what a good idea! The pictures of the coast and that yellow seaweed are quite something. And you have a camper van!..I'm beginning to scheme and wish for one. X

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful happenings post, Leanne! I'm glad your son had a nice birthday. You must still be wondering how you could have an 18 year old. I know I was when my oldest turned 18. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. A lovely assortment of happenings! Belated Happy birthday to Sam. I'm sure you will have a lovely time on your visits to Poole. You must take Ollie to Brownsea Island and Arrne there is lots of willdife to see. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay! A great week all in all and many happy returns to Sam. I love the pictures and am admiring your bowl, what a fab gift from your mum. Happy half term x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Birthday to Sam. 18 is a big deal. It makes me feel old to think that even my youngest is a few years past his 18th.

    It does sound as if life is full of lovely happenings just now, long may it continue x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello Leanne, from another Cornish (novice) blogger. Your photos are so summery with that lovely light . . . oh, could it be sunshine? I wish it would hang around a lot longer and that the chilly wind would blow away. Hopefully the forecasters will be right and summer will return this coming week. Love your little Olly, the snail collector, but I hope he doesn't try to pick all those pellets up in a bid to save his beloved snails; that's the sort of thing my little granddaughter would do.

    ReplyDelete